December 20, 2017
An Irish boxty is a potato pancake made from mashed potatoes and grated raw potato. It’s great served with eggs and bacon.
What you need:
- 2 cups (9 oz) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp Kosher or sea salt
- 1 cup (8 oz) mashed potatoes, boiled in salted water
- 1 1/2 cups (8 oz) grated, raw potato
- 1 cup buttermilk
- butter for the pan
How to make it:
- Using a large mixing bowl, combine the mashed potatoes with the grated raw potato, add the flour, baking powder and salt and mix well.
- Slowly add the buttermilk and stir gently
- Heat a nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat, and add a pat of butter, just before scooping out some of the boxy batter onto the pan.
- Flatten and shape into a pancake shape and fry until golden brown on the bottom.
- Turn and continue to cook until golden brown on top too, turning the heat down if they are browning too quickly
- Continue to add a little butter and fry the boxty until all the batter is finished.
- Serve hot as desired