2 min read • ––– views
A little spice always helps the brain juices get flowing, and this chicken curry dish is a favorite for any get together, especially when I'm planning a group meeting to work on the latest ideas.
What you need:
- 1 lb boneless chicken thighs, diced
- 1 cup full-fat plain yogurt
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 can (14oz) diced tomatoes or 2 fresh tomatoes, diced
- 2 bell peppers (any color), diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp coriander
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
- fresh cilantro
How do I make this:
- Mix spices together (coriander, cumin, turmeric, paprika, cayenne, ground ginger) and set aside.
- Dice the chicken into 1-to-2-inch chunks. In a bowl, mix together the raw chicken, yogurt, 1 tsp salt, and half of the spice mixture. Let that sit in the fridge for 1 or 2 hours.
- After the chicken has marinated, heat up the oil and butter together in a large pot. Add the onions and peppers, and saute for 5 minutes on medium-high heat, or until onions are translucent.
- Add the remaining half of the spice mixture and the minced garlic, and cook it all together for another minute.
- Add more oil to the pot if necessary. Turn the heat to high. Add the marinated chicken, including all of the marinade. Cook the chicken for about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, and stir. Bring the pot to a boil, then turn the heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a small bowl, mix the cornstarch with a few tablespoons of water. Make sure all the cornstarch is dissolved in the water. Add this cornstarch mixture to the pot and stir. This thickens the sauce. Use more cornstarch if you'd like. Continue simmering for another few minutes.
- Garnish with fresh chopped cilantro. Serve with rice or flatbread.